GNOME not working anymore

I have lost gnome.  It was really working well, and I like it alot.   I have
been upgrading weekly with apt-get, and somewhere a couple of weeks ago,
gnome started losing it.  FIrst, I am getting messages,

       /bin/sh: esd: command not found

Then, soon after the panel comes up, when I try to start an application,
like netscape, a bunch of messages flash past, and gnome dies:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  aborting...
  Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x280003a unexpectedly destroyed
  Gdk-WARNING **: GdkWindow 0x2800029 unexpectedly destroyed
  Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    aborting...

Any suggestions?

Alan
--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis