Re: problem with my system includes

>> "P" == Pollywog  <pollywog@shadypond.com> writes:

P> I cd /usr/include

P> there I do this:

P> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
P> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
P> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi
P> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/net net

No. Debian stopped doing this for long. And with the 2.2 kernels,
Linus officially blessed this practise. We have headers of a well
known kernel in /usr/include, not the one you currently build your
kernel with.

You will note that the README in the kernel source doesn't tell you
any more to do these links.

See /usr/doc/libc6/FAQ.Debian.gz

There you will also find a fixe for your problem with compiling the
vmware drivers.

Note that you can also extract and build the drivers seperatly from
the installation by extracting driver-only.tar and vmnet-only.tar

P> Then I recompile my kernel.  Will that take care of it?

It would, even without recompiling the kernel (it is not related to
the problem).

If you really want, you could set the links for linux and net during
the compilation of the vmware drivers, but reestablish the correct
state afetrwards.

P> I know I have an old kernel image installed when I installed
P> Debian.  Will I also have to find and remove it?

There is nothing to fix, as nothing is broken.

Ciao,
	Martin