Re: are the 2.2.x kernels for SMP systems only?

On 20-May-99 Brian Servis wrote:
>>> No. They have support for SMP systems.  Read the documentation.
>>>
>>> I think you win the award for the most frequent poster!
>>
>> Sorry, I will refrain from asking so many questions.  I did read the
>
> You don't really need to do that.  If people(like me) want to respond
> they will. You do have some good questions though.

That is why I am a proponent of the debian-newbie list  :)
Newbies helping newbies without seeming to be asking too many questions.

>> information available when I compiled, but I was unsure if I should uncheck
>> SMP.  Later I read something about these kernels only being for 2 processor
>> system.
>>

> I think the help text from the kernel configuration is pretty straight
> forward.

I will recompile the kernel and leave it out, and you are correct, it was
rather obvious, but I am still reeling from a reinstallation because I make a
bad choice.  I guess that is the only way I will learn though, getting my
hands dirty.

> Symmetric Multi Processing
> CONFIG_SMP
>   This enables support for systems with more than one CPU. If you have
>   a system with only one CPU, like most personal computers, say N. If
>   you have a system with more than one CPU, say Y.
>
>   If you say N here, the kernel will run on single and multiprocessor
>   machines, but will use only one CPU of a multiprocessor machine. If
>   you say Y here, the kernel will run on many, but not all,
>   singleprocessor machines. On a singleprocessor machine, the kernel
>   will run faster if you say N here.

I am really embarrassed now.  It was a no-brainer.

--
Andrew