Re: are the 2.2.x kernels for SMP systems only?

*- On 20 May, Pollywog wrote about "Re: are the 2.2.x kernels for SMP systems only?"

> On 20-May-99 Brian Servis wrote:
>> *- On 20 May, Pollywog wrote about "are the 2.2.x kernels for SMP systems
>> only?"
>>> Are the 2.2.x kernels for SMP systems only?  I have a PentiumII with only
>>> one
>>> processor in it.
>>>

>> No. They have support for SMP systems.  Read the documentation.
>>
>> I think you win the award for the most frequent poster!
>
> Sorry, I will refrain from asking so many questions.  I did read the

You don't really need to do that.  If people(like me) want to respond
they will. You do have some good questions though.

> information available when I compiled, but I was unsure if I should uncheck
> SMP.  Later I read something about these kernels only being for 2 processor
> system.

I think the help text from the kernel configuration is pretty straight
forward.

Symmetric Multi Processing
CONFIG_SMP
  This enables support for systems with more than one CPU. If you have
  a system with only one CPU, like most personal computers, say N. If
  you have a system with more than one CPU, say Y.

  If you say N here, the kernel will run on single and multiprocessor
  machines, but will use only one CPU of a multiprocessor machine. If
  you say Y here, the kernel will run on many, but not all,
  singleprocessor machines. On a singleprocessor machine, the kernel
  will run faster if you say N here.
[...]

--
Brian