wdm and xdm co-exisitng - is this a bug?

Hi Folks,

I recently installed the kde 1.1.1 debs on my slink system. Only catch
was they required xdm being present, and I think wdm is much nicer (and
more useful) than xdm. But, I wanted to upgrade my kde, so I installed
xdm, and then went and installed kde.

Now, that was a while ago, but I had not rebooted since. Today I
downloaded the patches and upgraded my kernel to 2.2.9, and as a result,
I had to reboot. Unfortunately, my keyboard stopped working on reboot -
not even the good ol' 3-finger salute (ctl-alt-del) got any response,
nor did the caps or scroll lock lights - completely dead.

I tried rebooting my older kernels, but although the keyboard was
working in lilo, it would again die when it finished booting (ie., when
wdm started).

I eventually worked out that the problem seemed to be that wdm and xdm
were trying to start on top of each other. I don't any longer have an
/etc/X11/options file, so I cant use that to stop one of them starting.
I couldn't see any obvious options in ?dm.options that did something
equivalent.

Eventually I just deleted /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm - it's a bit klunky, but it
seems to work.

Is this a bug with either of the packages? If so, which one? xdm and wdm
seem to co-exist well as regards to things like depends.

I've heard someone mention switchdm in the past. When I tried that it
said:

$ sudo switchdm --help
grep: /etc/X11/config: No such file or directory
grep: /etc/X11/config: No such file or directory
current configuration :
don't start xdm
don't start kdm

Do you want :
                1)      start xdm
                2)      start kdm
                3)      none

Your choice ? (1/2/3) [2] 3
/usr/sbin/switchdm: /etc/X11/config: No such file or directory
$

obviously it's a hangover from hamm (so why is it on my slink system?)

Cheer,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
(damon@empire.net.au)     | As my head fell in the basket,