Re: Re[2]: Debian installation - list of things that make it hard

:-> "Phillip" == Phillip Deackes <gsmh@gmx.net> writes:

    > Peter Allen <P.Allen@pallen.dabsol.co.uk> wrote:
    >> My box has even survived an incredible big mistake I just made.
    >> I was running as root, in /usr
    >> Instead of typing rm -r gimp* I typed rm -r *
    >> Thank goodness star office is big enough to get in the way of anything
    >> important being deleted before I realised my mistake.

put a file called "-i" in the relevant directories....  i.e.

touch "/-i"

so when you try "rm -r *" from / it expands the -i too and asks you for
permission. Note that this doesn't protect you from "rm -r /"

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci  | mailto:p.caci@flashnet.it - http://gusp.infogroup.it
       ik5pvx        |         http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/8999
  Firenze - Italia   | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.2.9 #1 Sat May 15 10:10:38 CEST 1999 i586 unknown