Re[2]: minicom -> dumb terminal?

Ookhoi <ookhoi@dds.nl> wrote:

> > Has anyone used minicom to provide a dumb terminal using a null modem
> cable?
>
> Yes. I wanted to be able to compile and test a kernel on a remote Linux
> server, so I had to be able to use Lilo in case the fresh kernel
> couldn't boot the machine.

Wow, what a great piece of information, thanks!

My needs are more modest; eventually I want to copy some files off of a SCO
unix box to see if a certain package will run under Linux (the Progress
database language). To this end I have minicom installed on an old machine
currently running OpenBSD; I will drag this box to where the SCO is and hook
up the null modem cable.

I'm testing this setup now by logging on to my slink-grade Debian system with
this obsd install of minicom (the 'dumb terminal') and running sz on the
Debian to send files to the obsd. Right now I'm having trouble with sz. It
downloads files from the Debian to the obsd ok, but it hangs after the
transfer, leaving a '**B00' sitting at the cursor.

Thoughts, anyone?

--
Bob Bernstein
at

"RMS's "curmudgeon-like" griping that he didn't like the term "Open
Source" looked silly to many last year; it's not looking so dumb
today..." Christopher B. Browne