Newbie.. Help!

Confusing observation:
I am using a Pentium II 350 MHz with 128MB RAM, with windows98  for
intensive algorithms (coherent integration)--aprox. 175 billion calculations
per work unit.  (The SETI@home project, a fascinating project itself.)
 On my system average CPU work time is over 40 hrs per unit.
I have noticed that platforms using : i386-pc-linux-gnu-gnulibc2.1 are
averaging 18 hrs per unit!

I know very little about operating systems.

Question 1: How can linux help a CPU perform these calculations at twice the
speed, or am I missing something here?
Question 2:  Considering my above statement concerning my ignorance of OS's,
should I even be considering abandoning windows in favor of linux ?

Any help greatly appreciated--
Art Brown