Re: Newbie.. Help!

Arthur wrote:

> Confusing observation:
> I am using a Pentium II 350 MHz with 128MB RAM, with windows98  for
> intensive algorithms (coherent integration)--aprox. 175 billion calculations
> per work unit.  (The SETI@home project, a fascinating project itself.)
>  On my system average CPU work time is over 40 hrs per unit.
> I have noticed that platforms using : i386-pc-linux-gnu-gnulibc2.1 are
> averaging 18 hrs per unit!

Nooooo, I'm amazed!

> I know very little about operating systems.

I'm a newbie too

> Question 1: How can linux help a CPU perform these calculations at twice the
> speed, or am I missing something here?

1- Linux is maintained by very sharp programmers,
2- Linux is a Unix-like system, wich means extremely stable (in my company, the
NT server is down about twice a week, the Unix one asn't be down for 3 months
(for hardware maintenance!))
3- There are no bul...it in this OS (like hidden games); nor flipper hidden in a
word-processor or flight simulator in spreadsheet, if you see what I mean): when
you want to do something, you run the right program,
3- When you have very much programs (or daemons) running together, you can
easily see that the cpu calculation power and the memory are not as much used as
you could think

> Question 2:  Considering my above statement concerning my ignorance of OS's,
> should I even be considering abandoning windows in favor of linux ?

I have a friend whose a mathematician, he came to Linux for Latex, and he stay
for the power of calculation; on my opinion, you should come to this OS.
Also, you can install it on a small machine, my old 486-66 / 8 MB ram / 128 MB
HD is working very well!

> Any help greatly appreciated--
> Art Brown

Hope it will help you.
Regards,
JY

--
Jean-Yves BARBIER <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>
"Les choses ne sont pas toujours ce que l'on voudrait qu'elles soient qu'elles