Re: Can one "fake" a Debian package?

One can always manually update the dpkg DB...
ya know, take a text editor to /var/lib/dpkg/{available,status} and make
the appropriate entries, then create a package.list in the info
sub-dir... In fact, if you `fill in all the blanks' it will be just like
you installed a .deb; if you leave some spots blank then dpkg will be
limited with what it can do (pretty tough for dpkg -S to work if the
.list file is empty, eh).

There is no real advantage to doing it manually, unless you count
gaining some understanding of how dpkg/dselect/apt go about their
business as advantageous.

- Bruce