Re: Can one "fake" a Debian package?

On 18-May-99 Jeff.Lessem+Debian@Colorado.EDU wrote:
> Pollywog <pollywog@shadypond.com> writes:
>
>> > I have QT 1.42 installed from the source tarball. Unfortunately, my KDE
>> > installation was in the form of Debian packages, and now I get
>> > "kde-whatever depends on qt-142" errors from dselect and apt-get. How can
>> > I convince my system that QT is installed? Is there a file I can edit?
>> >
>> > - thanks, Bill
>>
>> I had this problem too and got around it by installing the qt debs AND the
>> source as well.
>>
>> I don't know if that is a correct way to do things, but it worked for me.
>
> I just created a local package that provides (in the dpkg sense)
> whatever packages I do not want to install from deb files, for
> whatever reason.

It is my belief that I am better off installing Qt and KDE from source,
because some newer apps won't run from the deb installations.  Still, if I try
to install a deb package for Debian, the package usually complains that it
does not find debian packages for KDE installed and it quits.  I looked into
the equivs package, but from what I read, it is not a good solution and can
break a system.

--
Andrew