Re: ppp frame errors

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Corey Ralph wrote:

> Sorry, I'm sure everyone's sick of ppp problems on the list, but
> this one has me stumped :)

> I have just set up a 486 running slink to be a dial-up server
> (ip masq, 2.3.3 kernel) for a couple win 98 boxes.
>
> It is getting many frame errors, seen when I run 'ifconfig
> ppp0'.  The connection seems pretty unstable and inconsistent,
> i.e. icq works most of the time but sometimes sits and waits for
> a minute or so, pings miss about 1 out of 5 attempts, www is
> slow etc.
>
> I am using a Banksia 33k modem, also have a 56k V90 available
> but it seems to do worse! It is dialing into a US Robotics Total
> Control rack.
>
> Maybe the UART on the 486 is inadequate?  The phone line? Something at
> the ISP?

> Any suggestions appreciated.

By no means is anyone sick of problems. That's what this list is
all about.

I gather these external modems?  Predecated on that assumption,
you need high speed serial ports, using a 16550A serial port chip,
or functional equivalent.

See if these lines appear in your boot up message (you can see it
without rebooting using the command, dmesg | less)

    Serial driver version 4.26 with no serial options enabled
    ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
    ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16450

My old 486 boots with this message, it doesn't support high speed
modems.

The machine I'm on right now indicates the faster 16550A:

   Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
   tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
   tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

This machine supports a 115,200 connection to my 56K modem. It
buffers and talks at something greater than 33K.

If this isn't your problem, I'm stumped, but someone else will
know.

The best of luck to you!

--David

David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
		 (Hope this qualifies :)