ppp frame errors

Sorry, I'm sure everyone's sick of ppp problems on the list, but this one has
me stumped :)

I have just set up a 486 running slink to be a dial-up server (ip masq, 2.3.3
kernel) for a couple win 98 boxes.

It is getting many frame errors, seen when I run 'ifconfig ppp0'.  The
connection seems pretty unstable and inconsistent, i.e. icq works most of the
time but sometimes sits and waits for a minute or so, pings miss about 1 out
of 5 attempts, www is slow etc.

I am using a Banksia 33k modem, also have a 56k V90 available but
it seems to do worse! It is dialing into a US Robotics Total Control rack.

Maybe the UART on the 486 is inadequate?  The phone line? Something at
the ISP?

Any suggestions appreciated.