Re: slink: Which directory am I supposed to install from?

>> "MH" == Marc Haber <Marc.Haber-lists@gmx.de> writes:

MH>  However, the installed system dies with a kernel panic because it
MH>  can't mount the root file system. I suppose that the other kernel
MH>  (that is quite a few KB smaller than the one installed by the
MH>  install system from /install) doesn't contain drivers for the NCR
MH>  SCSI chip that my system has.

Then you shouldn't have been able to install the base system at all,
as you wouldn't be able to access the disk, right?

MH> Which directory am I to install from? Why does the other directory
MH> exist?

Maybe it is for the bootable CDs.

MH> How can I make the disks-i386-install-System install a kernel that
MH> actually works on my system?

Try the other kernel (from /install) by booting it with boot.bat,
lodlin, whatever) and enter Linux root=/dev/sda1 (or whatever your
root partition is) and see if this works. Then compile your own
kernel.

Ciao,
	Martin