Re: RPM packages

--- Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
> Kenneth Scharf wrote:
> > Alien can be used to install binary packages, but
> it does so outside of
> > the dpkg database.
>
> That's completly wrong. Alien converts things into
> debian packages which may
> be installed and manipulated just like any other
> packages.

True alien DOES convert to .debs.  However I do recall a warning about
'incomplete' conversion which could cause problems with the database.
And I do remember seeing something to that effect when running deselect
after having installed a few rpm's (converted into .deb's).  These
packages did NOT have complete info listed.   Maybe I have
misunderstood the problem.

> > use alien to install ANY package that contains
> static libraries
> > required by the rest of the system.
>
> Static libraries are never required by the system.
> s/static/shared/ :-)

I guess I meant shared lib's.  Anyway I also recall being warned about
this.  OTOH when used as it was intended alien is a great tool.
===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....