Re: slink: Which directory am I supposed to install from?

On 18 May 1999 13:18:34 +0200, you wrote:
>>> "MH" == Marc Haber <Marc.Haber-lists@gmx.de> writes:
>MH>  However, the installed system dies with a kernel panic because it
>MH>  can't mount the root file system. I suppose that the other kernel
>MH>  (that is quite a few KB smaller than the one installed by the
>MH>  install system from /install) doesn't contain drivers for the NCR
>MH>  SCSI chip that my system has.
>
>Then you shouldn't have been able to install the base system at all,
>as you wouldn't be able to access the disk, right?

Nope. When I install a cdrom-less system from scratch, I usually put
the disk into a working system and copy /install (or whatever files I
need to install the base system) to a FAT partition, boot DOS and
continue from there.

>MH> How can I make the disks-i386-install-System install a kernel that
>MH> actually works on my system?
>
>Try the other kernel (from /install) by booting it with boot.bat,
>lodlin, whatever) and enter Linux root=/dev/sda1 (or whatever your
>root partition is) and see if this works. Then compile your own
>kernel.

This will surely give me a working system. However, I am trying to
clearly document the installation process and don't want to have
people yelling at me for using the wrong installation procedure. Doing
everything "by the book" is essential.

Also, I'd like to save other people from having these difficulties.

Greetings
Marc