Re: Puzzling Problem with Parallel Port

On %M 0, jeb wrote
> Linux doesn't recognize my parallel port.
>
> The lp module is loaded.
>
> ls > /dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1 both give the message "no such device".
>
> I can use the parallel port from Windows 95, so the hardware is
> functional.
>
> Anything I should try?

Mine works, under kernels v2.2.x.

I have the following in /etc/modutiles/aliases:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

and the (tightly-edited) output of lsmod is:
Module                  Size  Used by
parport_pc              5484   1  (autoclean)
lp                      4840   0  (unused)
parport                 6612   1  [parport_pc lp]

The way parallel port modules are organised has changed with kernels
2.2.x away from a monolithic, PC-specific module to allow for a more
uniform approach to dealing with non-PC and non-standard parallel ports.
That's why I have the alias, to associate the generic hardware-level
driver name with the particular driver required for the PC parallel
port.

If you edit files in /etc/modutils, run update-modules as root to ensure
that your changes take effect.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au