Re: Mouse not recognized (but RedHat works fine)

Wayne Topa wrote:

>         Subject: Mouse not recognized (but RedHat works fine)
>         Date: Sun, May 16, 1999 at 11:24:25AM -0400

> Quoting Stuart Ballard(stuart@wuffies.net):
> > I have a dual-boot RedHat 5.2 / Debian Slink system. The RedHat system
> > has a symlink /dev/mouse -> /dev/cua1 and works fine with both gpm and
> > X. However, gpmconfig and X both fail to recognize the mouse at all
> > under Debian. I've tried both allowing gpmconfig to guess the device (it
> > always guesses ttyS0, which is my modem) and specifying ttyS1 on the
> > command line. Either way, it receives no packets at all. In X, the mouse
> > doesn't move at all.
> >
> > The mouse is a logitech 3-button mouse, and I'm pretty sure the protocol
> > should be "mman" in gpm (or MouseMan in X). I've also tried "ms" (and
> > Microsoft in X) which is what the redhat system uses. Nothing gives me
> > any mouse movement at all.
> >

> I have a 3 button Logitech Trackball that works in every dist I have
> tried. Here is some info thet 'may' help.
>
> ls /dev/mouse
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Jan 19 15:29 /dev/mouse -> ttyS1
>
> less /etc/gpm.confless /etc/gpm.conf
> device=/dev/ttyS1
> type=mman
> append="-a 3"
>
> less /etc/X11/XF86Config
> [snip]
> Section "Pointer"
>    Protocol        "Mouseman"
>    Device          "/dev/mouse"
> EndSection
> [snip]

Pretty much identical to my setup :(

> You don't mention which kernel you are using.  The 2.2.x series has
> changed the use of cua device names.  From the kernel Changes file
> "   Also, please remember that cua* devices are now obsolete.  Switch to
> the corresponding ttyS* device instead (e.g., cua0 -> ttyS0, cua1 ->
> ttyS1, etc.)."

I'm using 2.0.36 as installed from a slink CD. The use of cua1 is only
on RedHat (I seem to remember trying ttyS1 on that, and having it fail
too, but that was a long time ago and my memory of it is sketchy).

Could I need to add a kernel module for this? Or might I have added one
which conflicts? (I might have added PS2-mouse by mistake, now that I
think of it)

Stuart.