Mouse not recognized (but RedHat works fine)

I have a dual-boot RedHat 5.2 / Debian Slink system. The RedHat system
has a symlink /dev/mouse -> /dev/cua1 and works fine with both gpm and
X. However, gpmconfig and X both fail to recognize the mouse at all
under Debian. I've tried both allowing gpmconfig to guess the device (it
always guesses ttyS0, which is my modem) and specifying ttyS1 on the
command line. Either way, it receives no packets at all. In X, the mouse
doesn't move at all.

The mouse is a logitech 3-button mouse, and I'm pretty sure the protocol
should be "mman" in gpm (or MouseMan in X). I've also tried "ms" (and
Microsoft in X) which is what the redhat system uses. Nothing gives me
any mouse movement at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Thank you very
much in advance,
Stuart.