[Fwd: Re: My CDR is not recognized at boot]

Hi all,

If this can help somebody like mee...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: My CDR is not recognized at boot
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:52:13 +0200
From: Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de>
To: Jean-Yves BARBIER <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>

On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 01:38:03PM +0200, Jean-Yves BARBIER wrote:
> Hi Kurt,
>
> I found your email adress in your driver's sources.

Yes. It's because I am the maintainer of this driver.

> I've got a TEKRAM DC390 scsi card (simple fast-scsi), and here is my problem:
>
> Debian distribution,
> ABIT BH6 w/PII400,
> SCSI chain:	CTRLR=Id7,
> 		CD-ROM PIONEER DR-U16S=Id4,
> 		CD-R YAMAHA CDR-4416S=Id5
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This device is very well known to me. It caused trouble to more people than
to you. That's a Yamaha bug: It needs too much time to recover from a SCSI
bus reset.

> 1- Weird thing: If I let the speed setting of the DC390 @ 10.0 MHz transfer
> speed, at boot the YAMAHA says its working @ 8.0 MHz; If I put 8.0 MHz in the
> DC390, at next boot, it says its working @ .. 6.6 MHz (don't know why?)

Me neither. Almost certainly some Yamaha firmware misfunction.

> * Started (a month ago) w/kernel 2.0.36 from debian's CD: YAMAHA causes
> troubles, zapped from system (I was obliged to cut-off the main power supply to
> recover it in the system!): The DC390 was recognized as AM53C974,

Then you used the AM53C974 driver. Well it's buggy, if you allow
disconnection, so I'd prefer not to use it. Unfortunately, it's also
unmaintained.

> * Recompiled the kernel w/only the DC390: DC390 was recognized as DC390, YAMAHA
> CR was not recognized,
>
> * Upgrade to 2.2.1: always no recognition of the CDR (not seen by the driver)
>
> * Upgrade to 2.2.7: still the same!

It's the same driver in those kernel, so the behaviour must be the same.

Here's the band aid:
Become root and type
 echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 5 0" >/proc/scsi/scsi
 cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Your CD-R will be detected.

Please read the web page
 http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc390/problems.html
for more information.

Hope this helps.
--
Kurt Garloff  <garloff@suse.de>           SuSE GmbH, Nürnberg, FRG
Linux kernel development;    SCSI driver: DC390 (tmscsim/AM53C974)