Re: libc6-2.1.1 ... safe to install?

>> "S" == Sean  <snmjohnson@iclub.org> writes:

S> I'm now wondering if anyone has any comments on how "stable" the
S> unstable distribution is in general.

Pretty OK, but there are some known problems with glibc2.1

Netscape gets unstable.
Sometimes gives a bus error when closing a window -> closing all of
netscape. Basic authentication (the paswod boxes) have problems. For
username and/or password longer than 8 characters, it is very likely,
that netscape will give a bus error.
Sometimes netscape hangs, and if I kill it, it will kill the X server.
No genuine fix available (the joys of no available source...). I think
I will try to install the libc5 netscapae.

JDK1.1
It used some internal symbols in libc, not available any more. A fixed
version is available in Incoming.

Staroffice
Problem like in JDK. There is a workaround, by preloading glibc2. I
don't have the fix available, but it has been posted to this list.

Xterm
Currently, there is a problem with PAM and xterm, but that is just a
"normal" error, not related to glibc2.1

These are the things I encountered.

If you still want to give potato a try, use apt. Change sources.list
to point to unstable. and do apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

For GNOME or gtk1.2, add the slink gnome staging area to sources.list

deb http://www.debian.org/~jim/debian-gtk-gnome/gnome-stage-slink unstable main

The verions there are a bit behind potato, but I am recompiling the
potato versions for slink right now.

Ciao,
	Martin