Re: transparent proxy with Squid?

On %M 0, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote
> Has anybody successfuly configured Linux and Squid to act as a
> transparent proxy? I have looked at the Squid FAQ and an interesting
> pointer provided by it
> (http://alderan.gurulink.com/transproxy-linux21-squid2.html) but have
> not succeded yet. All squid configuration options and and ipchains
> commands having been entred the www requests still go right past squid.

It worked for me; I installed tproxyd, booted a kernel with transparent
proxy support, and followed the advice in /usr/doc/tproxyd (from memory).

> I am using the latest Debian-potato snapshot with Squid-2.2 and kernel
> 2.2.7 on our masquerading firewall.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> PS: are there well-known disadvantages in using transparent proxying?
> (vs. configuring each browser on our LAN)

The only ones I am aware of are:
  - If squid is 'fooled' into treating a dynamic page as static, you
    may see the wrong page, just like with any proxy;
  - If a server provides non-HTTP services (e.g., SSL) on port 80 you
    won't be able to access them, as you are going via squid;
  - You don't get proxying for HTTP servers on unusual ports (81, 8080);
  - If squid stops/exercises a bug you can't just turn off or change
    your proxy from your workstation.

I don't know how serious these are in the real world, but #4 is quite
rare.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au