Re: update-menus, does it work? UPDATE

	Subject: Re: update-menus, does it work?
	Date: Sun, May 09, 1999 at 12:33:31PM -0400

Quoting Wayne Topa(wtopa@mindspring.com):

> 	Subject: Re: update-menus, does it work?
> 	Date: Sat, May 08, 1999 at 03:32:22PM -0400

I have run the following test, as root. Slink.
default WM - blackbox
GNUstep dir removed for this test.
I have in /etc/menu/gtcd  ( all on 1 line)
?package(gtcd):needs="x11" icon="none" section="Apps/Sound"
title="Gtcd" command="/usr/X11R6/bin/gtcd"

and from
"Debian Menu System - How a user can override the menus (p2 of 2)"
I did
echo -n  > ~/.menu/netscape  ( so that the netscape entries
							   don't show in root menu)

Test 1 - run update-menus, run X
Result - Netscape entries are still in Apps/net menu.  Gtcd entry
		is not in apps/Sound menu.
Conclusion - echo -n  > ~/.menu/netscape does not override the menu
		entries in /ustr/lib/menu as showm in the html doc.

Test 2 - Edit /etc/X11/blackbox/Blackbox-menu to comment out the
         netscape entries and add Gtcd to Sound menu.  Run X.
Result - Netscape entries removed from Apps/net and Apps/Sound now has
         the Gtcd entry.
Conclusion - If you only use one WM, find where it's menu items are
		 and add/delete items from it.

Test 3 - Run update-menus. Run X.
Result - Netscape entries are back in Apps/net. Gtcd entry is not in
		 /apps/sound.  Less /etc/X11/blackbox/Blackbox-menu shows that
		 the Netscape entries are no longer commented out and the Gtcd
		 entry has been removed.
Conclusion - If you use the method of test 2, don't run update-menus
		 as it will remove all your hard work.  Update-menus has a
		 problem or I am not understanding the documentation.

The goal of update-menus is an excellent one.  It seems that the
program, at least here, does not meet those goals.  It looks like the
only way to use mutiple WM's is to find each of their rc files and do
to them what the update-menu program id supposed to do.  Thats too
bad, as that is one of the 'features' that made Debian my preferred
distribution.

I look forward to being told what I have done incorrectly. I hope that
I have done wrong somewhere and that I am the only one.

--
You know you've been spending too much time on the computer when your
friend misdates a check, and you suggest adding a "++" to fix it.