Re: update-menus, does it work?

	Subject: Re: update-menus, does it work?
	Date: Sat, May 08, 1999 at 03:32:22PM -0400

Quoting Andrew Chung(anderoo@ac111.resnet.cornell.edu):
> > ?package(gtcd):needs="x11" icon="none" section="Apps/Sound" \
> > title="Gtcd" command="/usr/X11R6/bin/gtcd"
> >
> > but it still doesn't show up in the menu of any user after I run update-menus.
> > Yet 2 removed apps are still showing up in the Users menu.
>
> Did you run update-menu as yourself or as root? On my system I have to run
> it as myself before it will add/remove the entries to/from my menu...even
> for site-wide menu files.

Yes, I have tried both as root and as a user, even tho I did not see
any reference that is had to be done by both.

> Also note that the name in package(xxxx) should be the name of the package,
> otherwise it won't add it to your menu..

I have tried ?package(tcd) and ?package(gtcd) and neither get the item
added to the  'users' menu, but!  Andrew, your right about the package
name.!!  I read <package-name> as menu package name, duh. :-(

I created a new user to test this out.  When that user runs update-menus
 it gets an error,
"Cannot open file /etc/X11/mwm//system.mwmrc
/etc/menu-methods//mwm-menumethod: Aborting"
If I don't run update-menus but run X, a GNUstep menu is created
(Wmaker is the default WM) and X runs fine but the 'gtcd' item is missing
from the test users menus.  Update-menus fails again, after exiting X.

  I copied the ~user/.menu/gtcd to /etc/menu and ran update-menus as
both me and root.  It is now showing up in root's menu!
 I them moved /etc/menu/gtcd to /root/.menu, reran update-menus,
restarted the WM, and the item 'disappeared' from roots menu.(?)
Moving it back to /etc/menu and running update-menus did NOT add
it back to the root menu.(!?) Gtcd isn't in any menu at this point.

I have noticed that roots apps/net menu has 24 items in it (including
3 Netscape entries, that in Debian, can't run) and only 18 entries in
the my apps/net menu. Only one of which is a Netscape entry.  I then
moved the GNUstep to 1-GNUstep entered X again.  Now I have the same
apps/net menu as root does (WM interacts with update-menus somehow).

So here is what I now have.
1. To add items to the root menu you put the new items in /etc/menu.
   And it works, sometimes.
2. Adding new menu entries in ~/.menu doesn't work, for anyone.
3. The items in /usr/lib/menu don't all show up in user menus if that
   user has a GNUstep menu already.
4. There is an interaction between the update-menus program and
   whatever WindowManager you are using.  I am not sure, yet, what the
   fix is but I now have enough info to research it.
5. wmakerconf doesn' work.  Running it segfaults with errors of
	a. no root/pixmaps file
	b. no /root/crontab
	c. After fixing a & b it does **Error** sissegv: caught

Looks like I have opened a can of worms here.  Looks like I will
change WM to fvwm and start this all over again.

Andrew, what WM are you running and do you see any of the above
happening?

I will end this before it becomes a Book.  I will update as I find
answers to the above.

Thanks Andrew!

Wayne

--
Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach.
                -- S. C. Johnson