Re: 8 Newbie Questions

	Subject: Re: 8 Newbie Questions
	Date: Sat, May 08, 1999 at 09:04:27AM -0500

Quoting André Bell(debian2@one-click.com):
> Peter Makholm wrote:
> >There is no such thing as drive letters.
> >
> >Partitions are mounted around in the directory structure and you move
> >around just like on any other directory.
> >
> >Either you mount it (on /floppy) or uses mcopy from the mtools
> >package.
> >
> >Read some book about unix. I'm very sorry but you seem rather clueless
> >on some fundemental stuff and then its hard to help.
>
> Yes, I'm clueless about linux basics.  I'm three days into my installation
> of linux and have never seen it nor any unix operating system before now.
> I've been using pc's since they came out (70's onward). The funny thing is,

Ahh, so you might rember CP/M ?

> I'm a pc tech support person working for a multi-billion fortune 200
> company and I assumed that linux would work as many other computer systems
> work, i.e. with drive assignments. (Cocky Translation: 'If it's on a pc I
> can figure it out'. I've been humbled...)

[snip ]

> >Edit you /etc/fstab and put auto as an option in the line mentioning
> >/dev/fd0.
> >
> >Please read "man fstab" first.
>
> I must have installed something incorrectly because  'man fstab' says:
>  "can't open the manpath configuration file /etc/manpath.config"

The basis install doesn't include some rather necessary packages.  Get
the man-db and manpages packages.  Those will take care of the basics.
If you are going into this deeper also load the manpages-dev package.

do
ls  /usr/doc/HOWTO/*    (thats like C:>dir \windows\startup )

You will file a lot of files that that have a lot of what you are/will
be looking for.

> When I cd /etc and then type ls manpath.*, it shows manpath.config.dpkg-new
> I'm guessing this means the installation was interrupted or is this the
> same as  manpath.config just with extra extensions?

try less /etc/manpath.config    ( like more c:\windows\help )

> Thanks very much for your help!!!
>
> Andre'
> ... headed back to http://www.debian.org
>
> Read a book? Is that a text file or pdf?

  uhh, yes  :-)

HTH

--
In a five year period we can get one superb programming language.  Only
we can't control when the five year period will begin.