Re: 8 Newbie Questions

André Bell <debian2@one-click.com> writes:

> 1) How do I move from one partitioned drive to another? How do I know the
> drive letters to use too?

There is no such thing as drive letters.

Partitions ar mounted around in the directory structure and you move
around just like on any other directory.

> 2) How do I copy files from my floppy drive to my partitioned debian drive?

Either you mount it (on /floppy) or uses mcopy from the mtools
package.

> 3) Why does debian say 'only the root can do that' when I type the line below:
>   $ mount /dev/fd0 (or any other floppy drive)
>  I can't cd /dev/fd0 nor can I figure out how to access it.

Because only root may mount devices as default.

Edit you /etc/fstab and put auto as an option in the line mentioning
/dev/fd0.

Please read "man fstab" first.

> 5) How determine hardware which is functioning properly and how determine
> which kernels need to be removed or changed? I know with windows I had
> device manager and msd.exe.  What do I have with debian?

Use the hardware. If it works - it works.

You probally can get som information out of /proc/devices and such
files.

> 6) How change kernels once I know the above? I'd like to remove the devices

Install kernel-package and a kernel-source and read the documentation
for kernel-package.

> 7) Why can't I access my floppy after booting from it?  I have /floppy on

You havn't mounted you floppy.

#mount /dev/fd0 /floppy

as root should do it. But read "man fstab" it make it possible to
mount the floppy as non-root.

> 8) Do I have to regularly compile my own linux software?  Aren't binaries

No. Almost any software you ever need exist as debian packages on
www.debian.org.

If you really really really need something that aint packaged for
debian please say so. Probally others needs it as well.

> p.s. I've already downloaded mtools but since I can't copy the mtools files
> from the floppy to my partitioned debian drive, I'm stuck!!!

How did you install debian?

Are you sure you didn't allready have mtools installed?

Read some book about unix. I'm very sorry but you seem rather clueless
on some fundemental stuff and then its hard to help.

--
Peter er den mindst gamle af de gammeldags usenettere, og moderator på
den eneste modererede gruppe i dk.*, so there.