Re: 8 Newbie Questions

> Yes, I'm clueless about linux basics.  I'm three days into my installation
> of linux and have never seen it nor any unix operating system before now.
> I've been using pc's since they came out (70's onward). The funny thing is,
> I'm a pc tech support person working for a multi-billion fortune 200
> company and I assumed that linux would work as many other computer systems
> work, i.e. with drive assignments. (Cocky Translation: 'If it's on a pc I
> can figure it out'. I've been humbled...)

You gotta start somewhere, I suppose.

> I know dos and windows and thousands of applications extremely well. I
> don't know linux other than what shows up when I type 'help' and what i've
> gleaned by perusing the linux newsgroups and linux web pages. Lots of stuff
> there that doesn't apply to navigating or altering kernels.

Ok. If you really want to take a try at compiling your kernel, now that
you are only 3 days into install....sure. Here is how you do it:
Note that you have to be root for everything down here:
1. Install kernel-source package (you might need to install as86 package).
2. It is usually put in directory like /usr/src/kernel-????? (Not sure hwo
it is in slink, but it's that way in hamm).
3. Go into the directory and type: 'make menuconfig' for shell config
menu, or 'make xconfig' for GUI config tool.
4. I prefer GUI one, just because it's easier to use it. So then you see
what your kernel currently has. But I think you havent installed X yet.
Correction: you talk about kernels, as in plural..there is only one kernel
working at any time.
5. Once you have configured it, you can start compilation by doing these:
make dep
make clean (you can omit this)
make zImage or make bzImage. The first one is uncompressed kernel. Reason
why you want a compressed kernel, is because programs like LILO (LInux
LOader) have limit on kernel size. I think it's around 750K. So if you use
a lot of options, use bzImage.
6. Once it compiled, mv to dir /arch/i386 and get the kernel from there.
Put it into boot, fix the symlink if necesary, and reboot.
If you are running LILO, you need to rerun it before rebooting.

Btw.....doesnt your computer have a modem?

> Since I just installed linux a few days ago from my debian 2.1 cd there
> will be a slight learning curve during this week.  One way or another I'll
> know linux well enough in less than a week that I can teach others how to
> install, navigate, and change the setup of their linux... I know computers
> I just don't know linux's command structure and syntax, yet.  Once i start
> navigating I'm gonna take my linux apart kernel by kernel and see what
> makes it tick.  Then I'll no longer be clueless.

One week, uh? Good luck.
ANyway.....get a book on Unix/Linux and read it through.
Before you get really good with Linux, I suspect you might need to learn
some bash scripting, or whatever shell you use....it just makes your life
easier.
Andrew

 Andrew Ivanov
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu