home compiled sysutils has broken dependency

Hi All,
    I compiled sysutils myself because procinfo complains that it needs to
be compiled to display all IRQs.  I unpacked the debian source file and
used debian/rules binary to make a binary.  When I installed the .deb using
dpkg (which happens without complaint and the programs work), apt-get starts
complaining about broken dependencies.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Robert.

solzhenitsyn:~king/Linux/deb# apt-get check
Updating package file cache...done
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  sysutils: Depends:libc6 Depends:libncurses4

solzhenitsyn:~king/Linux/deb# dpkg -l sysutils perl libncurses4 libc6
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  sysutils        1.3.4          Miscellaneous small system utilities.
ii  perl            5.004.04-6     Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and
Report
ii  libncurses4     4.2-3          Shared libraries for terminal handling
ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU Libc: shared libraries

----
Robert King, Australian Environmental Studies, Griffith University, Australia
3875 6677   Robert.King@mailbox.gu.edu.au   http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if
I had been found doing so.  Now that I am fifty I read them openly.  When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness
and the desire to be very grown up."
     C. S. Lewis, "On Three Ways of Writing for Children"