(KLUDGED) Re: home compiled sysutils has broken dependency

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Robert King wrote:

> Hi All,
>     I compiled sysutils myself because procinfo complains that it needs to
> be compiled to display all IRQs.  I unpacked the debian source file and
> used debian/rules binary to make a binary.  When I installed the .deb using
> dpkg (which happens without complaint and the programs work), apt-get starts
> complaining about broken dependencies.  What am I doing wrong?

 I've kludged a work-around for this (by breaking apt-get), and record it on
 the list for others trying the same thing.  Perhaps someone else has a better
 idea - if so, please share it.

 My problem was that I was using the latest sysutils (1.3.4), which is in
 potato and compiled against glibc 2.1  I'm still running a mostly slink based
 system, because I've been scared off by the horror stories about how unstable
 "unstable" is at the moment.   So when I compiled sysutils 1.3.4, I did so
 against libc6 2.0.7.19981211, so everything works fine, but because it's
 called sysutils 1.3.4, apt-get expects it to depend on
 libc6 (>= 2.1), libncurses4 (>= 4.2-3.1).

 My work-arounds is either
 1) change the sources.list for apt back to stable until I bite the bullet to
 use glibc2.1
 2) hack
 /var/state/apt/lists/ftp.mirror.aarnet.edu.au_pub_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages
 to show a dependency on the versions of libc6 and libncurses4 that I have.

 Any other ideas?

 (I'm not using sysutils 1.3.2 from slink because procinfo in it doesn't
 work with 2.2 kernels.  I'm assuming that it is this problem that gives me
 the clock skew warnings when I try to build it, and not my machine preparing
 to die)

> solzhenitsyn:~king/Linux/deb# apt-get check
> Updating package file cache...done
> Updating package status cache...done
> Checking system integrity...dependency error
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
> dependencies:
>   sysutils: Depends:libc6 Depends:libncurses4
>
> solzhenitsyn:~king/Linux/deb# dpkg -l sysutils perl libncurses4 libc6
> Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name            Version        Description
> +++-===============-==============-============================================
> ii  sysutils        1.3.4          Miscellaneous small system utilities.
> ii  perl            5.004.04-6     Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and
> Report
> ii  libncurses4     4.2-3          Shared libraries for terminal handling
> ii  libc6           2.0.7.19981211 GNU Libc: shared libraries

----
Robert King, Australian Environmental Studies, Griffith University, Australia
3875 6677   Robert.King@mailbox.gu.edu.au   http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if
I had been found doing so.  Now that I am fifty I read them openly.  When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness
and the desire to be very grown up."
     C. S. Lewis, "On Three Ways of Writing for Children"