Re: Preventing xdm from starting

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 11:50:43AM +0200, Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven wrote:
> Since I installed X on my slink dist, xdm starts automaticly when I boot
> my computer. Normally, this is no problem, but in some circumstances I
> would like to quit X (ie to rebuild the kernel).
>
> My question is:
>
> How do I kill xdm, or prevent xdm from starting at boot-time (so I can
> start X with the startx command)?

There have already been several replies to this, but allow me to add my two
cents.

You can of course stop xdm by executing "/etc/init.d/xdm stop" as root.
This is the standard Debian way to stop daemons of all kinds.

You can also simply tell xdm to stop managing a particular server, like :0.
At the xdm login screen, just type <CTRL-R>.  That will terminate the X
server, which is what hogs all the resources anyway.  You don't need to be
root to do this.

To tell xdm to start managing all the displays listed in its Xservers file
(/etc/X11/xdm/Xserver) again, send it a HUP signal.  That will have to be
done as root.

Whatever you do, don't fool with /etc/X11/config and its "start-xdm" and
"no-start-xdm" nonsense unless you're running Debian 2.0 or earlier.  That
was an ugly hack and is no longer necessary now that xdm is in its own
package.

I sometimes think I will spend the rest of my life explaining this to
people.  Ironically, the new way of handling xdm is more consistent will
all the other daemons in daemons.  People just got really used to the
kludge.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |            //     // //  /     /