RE: silly mouse question

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Person, Roderick wrote:

>	>  It claims that /dev/psaux is not a
>> directory (which I agree with :) ).  Sorry I didn't mention it....
>>
>	[Person, Roderick]
>	This sound like the you need to make the device, although I have to
>say I never had this problem, with a mouse of having to make the device. I'm
>not 100% on that better check with someone else. That seems to me a strange
>error.

I'm sorry that I continue to be unclear.  The device exists.  "ls /dev/"
reveals a /dev/psaux, but I just mean that it is NOT a directory...

>	> Acually, I'll one-up ya'.  I HATE xf86config!  i either use
>XF86Setup or
>> edit the file by hand.  It didn't occur to me that the problem might be
>> that the wrong stuff is being put into the file, though.
>>
>	[Person, Roderick]
>	Well, I have to agree that editing by hand is the best by far. But,
>I haven't had time to figure out the monitor section, so I use it to get
>that working, and patch up the rest of the file. I do recall that XF86Setup
>and xf86config, write the the XF86Config file differently. It seems to me
>that when I did use XF86Setup the config file came out smaller. I didn't
>know if that was good or bad. But, since I could never get my X server to
>start with it, I assumed it was bad.

I believe XF86Setup puts in only what you need (according to it, of
course) whereas xf86config comments out things you don't need.  This
makes it much harder to read, but it contains more examples and such.

					-Michael

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305