Re: LILO - System.map conflict

Wayne Topa <wtopa@mindspring.com> writes:

> I have 4 different kernels, for Slink, in my lilo.conf, as well as 3
> for Slackware, 2 for hamm and 3 for Potato.  Same system 2 harddrives.
> I make a new kernel, copy the zImage/bzImage to /boot (on all 4
> distributions) as whatever the kernel is, ie slink2.2.3, potato2.2.5,
> Slack2.2.6, etc.  I have never copied/moved or otherwise done anything
> with the system.map file. All distributions have the same lilo.conf
> file, so that I can run lilo from any of them.
>
> I find the discussion about the system.map file interesting as I have
> no problem with new kernels on any of the distributions.  I wonder why?

Exactly my thoughts, too. I have read kernel compilation and
installation instructions, that came with the source, very carefully,
but they say nothing about this file. I usually simply copy the image,
run lilo, and that's it! Everything works.

However, this is what I notieced today in the boot-up. I don't know
how it has been escaping my attention all this time:

Apr 29 15:02:55 main kernel: klogd 1.3-3#31, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Apr 29 15:02:56 main kernel: Cannot find map file.
Apr 29 15:02:56 main kernel: Loaded 51 symbols from 4 modules.
Apr 29 15:02:56 main kernel: Linux version 2.2.6 (root@main) (gcc version 2.7.2.3) #1 Tue Apr 20 22:43:57 EDT 1999
Apr 29 15:02:56 main kernel: Detected 451034956 Hz processor.

See that "Cannot find map file" message? What does it mean and why
does my system work reliably without this file?

--
Arcady Genkin
"I opened up my wallet, and it's full of blood..." - GsYDE