LILO - System.map conflict

I admit that I am crating a lot of trouble myself, just
poking in things and compiling new kernels, but thats the
beauty of it, and as long as there's this kind of support,
it really helped me well. Ok, I had some problems during
installing a new kernel, and here's the symptoms::

I compiled a kernel, fine, compiled the modules and installed
them, everything worked fine (especially after I stripped my
system off 64 MB of RAM that I used to have which I guess was
not working well with the remanining 64 MB's)

Now I moved the new kernel to /boot as bzImage.x.y.z and I also
moved the new System.map to /boot/map.x.y.z. I edited my
/etc/lilo.conf file so that it has the entries such as

boot=/boot/map.x.y.z
linux=/boot/bzImagex.y.z

but what happens each time I run lilo is, it (lil0) destroys the
new System.map file I just moved there, by replacing it by a much
smaller file, from where it gets this file I have no idea.

If I reboot with this new configuration that lilo likes, things
seem to be working ok, but then what is the point of having a new
System.map file, and where is it used or not used?

So the question is:
Is the map file that is mentioned in lilo.conf not the same file
as the Syetm.map file, and am I supposed to place the System.map
file in a special location without lilo's knowledge?

Thanks for any help and suggestions..

Fethi Okyar
Research Assistant
Computational Solid Mechanics