Re: X freezes!

Stefano Stabilini <ldpu@cdc8g5.cdc.polimi.it> writes:

> --------------D78322D6E3F8F4EE1691F9D4
>
> I am a brand newbie to Linux.
>
> I followed Debian's slink 2.1 standard installation and used dselect
> afterwards to add X server and clients. Linux sits on my first hd in
> partitions hda3 (linux) and hda4 (swap), the first two partitions are
> Dos16-big and host win 95. I successfully configured LILO so as to
> choose starting OS at booting time (that i am quite proud of...).
>
> My problems came with the installation of the X server: i tried first to
> get it from XFree86.org, and XF86Setup'd it, but it would only start the
> VGA16 server. Then i realized that i could download and install X via
> dselect, which i did overwriting previous installation.
>
> I have a Cirrus Logic GD5465 AGP chipset with 4MB RAM and a HP D2817A
> Ultra VGA monitor, so i am using the SVGA X server, which gets started
> directly on boot. I configured it with XF86Setup again, leaving RAMDAC,
> VRAM and clockchip to be probed and i chose an 800x600 16bpp resolution
> for the monitor.
>
> The server and client started smoothly, i am able to change video mode,
> but after a few minutes' work everything freezes and i am no more able
> to even Ctrl-Alt-Bksp or Ctrl-Alt-Del. Actually the only means i found
> to get unstuck without powering-off is rebooting via telnet from another
> machine.

Are you running xdm? If so:

/etc/init.d/xdm stop

followed by:

/etc/init.d/xdm start

should restart X without rebooting the machine.

Why the lockups -- I do not know, but would suspect that something
from your previous installation of X is lingering around and causing
problems.

--
*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *