adding new libs (.a) to debian (gnome xml)

I tried to add the gnome_xml libs to debian.
Due to the fact that i couldnt find a .deb I compiled the package, did
make install which copied the said libs to /usr/local/libs.
I then added the directory to /etc/ld.so.conf (i hope i'm not getting
the file name wrong) and then ran ldconfig.
Then when i tried to compile another package which tried to link
against the xml libs (gnome_print) i got an answear somthing like:
error with -lxml no such library (I don't remember the exactly how it
was writen).
If anyone know of .deb instead of these two packages it would be

Do You Yahoo!?