Re: adding new libs (.a) to debian (gnome xml)

> I tried to add the gnome_xml libs to debian.
> Due to the fact that i couldnt find a .deb I compiled the package, did
> make install which copied the said libs to /usr/local/libs.
> I then added the directory to /etc/ld.so.conf (i hope i'm not getting
> the file name wrong) and then ran ldconfig.

In the subject you talked about .a files.  These are static libraries.
The ldconfig program is for configuration of dynamic libraries, which
have names ending in .so.

> Then when i tried to compile another package which tried to link
> against the xml libs (gnome_print) i got an answear somthing like:
> error with -lxml no such library (I don't remember the exactly how it
> was writen).

Probably because it tries to find the dynamic library.

> If anyone know of .deb instead of these two packages it would be
> better.

I don't know of any debs, but before they arrive you could
1) Try to generate dynamic gnome_xml libraries (maybe you just need a
   different target from the makefile), install them, and then run
   ldconfig.
2) Specify the complete path to the .a file to link it statically, so

gcc ....  /usr/local/libs/libxml.a

instead of

gcc .... -lxml

HTH,