Linux & packet collisions

I'm having some minor problems with collisions on my 2-node network. Or
maybe it's major, depends on wether you think 482,653 collisions is a lot
for a 5 day period :/

My configuration ->

(server)
Debian Linux 2.1
Linux 2.2.6
Realtek 8129 100B-TX
32MB ram
4GB 7200RPM UW Scsi HD

Hub
Netgear FE104 100MB 4-port hub(with handy little orange collision light)

Client
Windows 95/98/NT4
Realtek 8129 100B-TX
128MB Ram

I set both systems to half duplex, and that reduced the collisions some..i
have seen that interacting with samba causes a lot of collisions(many more
then using FTP) Also something that is strange.

copying a 50MB file from Client(win95) to server(linux) via SAMBA results
in thousands of collisions

copying a 50MB file from server(linux) to client(win95) via *SMBFS*
results in maybe 10-20 collisions(approx the same when using FTP)

I cannot go to 10Bt as my hub is 100BT only.  Any ideas ?  I don't mind
the collisions..although it can cause problems with windows sometimes my
machine locks up..it seems windows can't handle so many collisions at
times..linux keeps chugging along :) I didn't notice this problem till I
got the hub and saw my collision light flashing like mad.

if you can cc: this to aphro@aphroland.org that would be MUCH apperciated
thanks!!

btw, i run a linux-based ISP and i dont have this problem there(3 linux
servers, 10Mbit each)

nate