VideoRam settings?

Well, I upgraded my X server to 3.3.3.1, but it hasn't really helped
very much.  To review, my previous problem was that i was able to get
my Xserver to run at 1024x768 after much tweaking, and even then it was
sprkly, the mouse pointer was a green block, and the vertical axis was
partially repeated on the top and bottom of the screen.

Now, with my new Xserver files, XF86Setup segfaults, and I can't seem
to make the server recognize that I have 8 MB of video RAM.  Here's the
card entry from my XF86Config file:

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Primary Card"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   BoardName       "Diamond Viper 330"
   VideoRam        8192
EndSection

Now, my question is: where is it getting the 2 MB size?  The XF86Config
file that I edit is in /etc/X11.  Is there another one lying around that
might be overriding my settings?  Is there another spot in the
XF86Config file that also might override the device entry?

I might also note that the Xserver has no qualms with running at
800x600 32 bpp.  However, the main point of buying a 17" monitor was to
expand my desktop, and running the same resolution as I had on my 15"
monitor does not forward that cause.  So, my stats are: mostly
potatofied Debian, XFree86 3.3.3.1 SVGA server (from
http://master.debian.org/~branden/xfree86-3331/), kernel 2.2.6, glibc
2.1, etc...

TIA,

-Chris