Re: Exim allowing external mail...

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 09:51:12AM -0500, Matt Garman wrote:

> How do I configure exim to allow mail from non-local hosts?  It seems
> as though my current (mostly default) exim setup will not allow me to
> receive mail from anywhere other than my domain, uiuc.edu.  I
> currently have all my mail sent to my University email account, then
> fetchmail from there.  But I've been trying to subscribe to the
> WindowMaker mailing list, and their list server is really picky about
> where mail comes from -- I subscribe to my school's email address, but
> the mail comes from my machine, so it doesn't allow my mail.  So I
> tried to subscribe with my machine name, but I'm not getting the
> confirmation notice because (I think) Exim is disallowing mail outside
> of the uiuc.edu domain.  I've had this come up on other occations,
> i.e. not receiving mail sent specifically to my machine from outside
> of my domain.

Do you have any trouble receiving any other mail via your uni account,
or is it just the WindowMaker mailing list?

Make sure the address you want so subscribe with is the From: address
you use to try and subscribe.  You seem to be saying that it won't let
you subscribe with garman@students.uiuc.edu because your Sender: header
is garman@crh3019.urh.uiuc.edu (which I assume is your machine).  I hope
I've misunderstood you, because if that's right then the mailing list
server is horribly broken.

What's the subscription address for the mailing list?  I'll see if I can
reproduce the problem.

Hope that helps
Matt

--
Matt Folwell, Trinity College, Cambridge.  CB2 1TQ
mjf36@cam.ac.uk