Re: Serial console w/ Debian: only partial output?

In article <cistron.199904241637.SAA24543@Server.RZ.RWTH-Aachen.DE>,
Ralf G. R. Bergs <rabe@RWTH-Aachen.DE> wrote:
>I followed the instructions in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-
>console.txt in order to control a Debian box from a serial terminal.

That should work. The guy who wrote the serial console kernel stuff,
also wrote sysvinit, and also happens to maintain the Debian sysvinit
package :)

>However I had only partial success.
>
>There IS "some" output on the screen, but it's not nearly as much as appears
>on the VGA console, nor can I login on the serial console.

Did you:

a) create a new /dev/console
   crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       5,   1 Apr 24 10:22 /dev/console
b) run a getty on /dev/ttyS0 (or S1, or whatever)
   S1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L 9600 ttyS1
?

>I get the impression that "init" might be the culprit. Even if I set the
>serial device to be the only console device, as soon as init has been
>started the output appears on BOTH the serial and the VGA console.

That's not possible. The kernel messages can go to either or both,
but init and the rest of the userlevel programs open /dev/console which
only outputs to one console (serial or VGA), not 2.

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?