Serial console w/ Debian: only partial output?

Hi there,

I followed the instructions in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-
console.txt in order to control a Debian box from a serial terminal.

However I had only partial success.

There IS "some" output on the screen, but it's not nearly as much as appears
on the VGA console, nor can I login on the serial console.

I get the impression that "init" might be the culprit. Even if I set the
serial device to be the only console device, as soon as init has been
started the output appears on BOTH the serial and the VGA console.

Any hints what I could be doing wrong, or what could be sabotaging my
otherwise fine setup?

Thanks,

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\