Re: KDM vs XDM

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 11:18:35AM -0500, Brian Morgan wrote:
> I'd like to be able to change my default login manager to KDM instead of
> XDM, now that I have KDE up and running.  What do I need to do to make this
> happen?

I notice there have already been several answers to this question, but
here's my take on it.

Whoever packages kwm should just follow my example in the xdm package.

If kwm would do that, people wouldn't have to screw with all this init
script editing or displacing of binaries.  They could just:

dpkg --remove xdm
apt-get install kdm

(kdm might be robust enough to be installed without a pre-existing xdm in
place; if so, great, you're easily in business)

Since the Great X Reorganization, replacement of many X components is far
easier than it used to be.  People came up with all these kludges because
you couldn't uninstall xdm without taking a lot of other stuff you needed
with it.  xdm is now its own package, and that is no longer the case.  You
can remove xdm without affecting the rest of your system in the slightest.

Anyone who knows to whom to forward this for results, please do so.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    I have a truly elegant proof of the
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    above, but it is too long to fit into