Re: Linux nis and shadow passwords, non Linux clients

> Next problem: The net nis master runs slink. A slink client works after
> shadow has been configured and +:::::::: added to /etc/shadow.
> A client runs partly potato, and does not work, i.e. it won't accept nis
> passwords. NIS itself appears to work, i.e. I can see the right owners of
> directories, the homedirs are right, etc. Any known incompatibilities
> between glibc2.1 and shadow nis?

glibc2.0 and nis: at least the expire field is not copied into the right
structure. so you always get "-1" when reading the shadow password fields.
this happends only when you are useing the compat mode. if you are useing
"shadow: files nis" it works ok.

if you don't need the extra features of shadow (expiry, password age etc.),
don't use it. many programs do not honor these fileds anyway (e.g. login.app).

andreas