ddd segfaults - help

Hi
I'm trying to start ddd or xxgdb in order to debug c/c++ programs
I tried versions 3.1.3-2 3.1.3-1 and the slink version.
on the potato and up version I get a message, oops you found a bug in
the program
and then segfault every time i try to start it. It starts loading
(gives the image saying that it's starting) and then hangs.
On the slink version all i get is segfault and it stops.
the log file only says that ver 3.1.3-1 was compiled for i586 and ver
3.1.3-1 was compiled for i686, nothing else about the error or that
might be relevant.
xxgdb gives me a message: Can't allocate color map entry "Snow1" and
"Snow2" and then can't perform malloc.

I am running a 486/DX2 with a slink kernell 2.0.36. libc6, gcc, g++,
gdb and most of the development stuff is from potato.

If anyone can please help me (I realy need a debugger);