Re: Potato

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Madel, Kurt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For those of you using Potato, I was wondering how unstable it is.  I have a
> Zip Plus drive and know that it is naturally supported by the 2.2.X  kernel,
> so would like to move to a 2.2.X distribution as soon as possible and would
> like to use Debian because I believe in freedom.

The version number of potato has nothing to do with the version numbers of
kernels.  You may have noticed S.u.S.e has released version 6.0 of their
distribution, and RedHat is gearing up to release 6.0 as well.  Slackware
is at 3.something, etc.  I've been running kernel 2.2.6 for as long as it
has been released on my slink system.  I needed to upgrade a couple
packages (I don't remember which, but www.linuxhq.com had the list).

That said, potato has been fairly stable for me at work.  The only thing
that I have a beef with is DDD doesn't run well here (segfaults) but it
runs beautifully at home.  I have attributed this to the glibc2 vs.
glibc2.1 difference in the distributions and so have steered clear of
glibc2.1 at home where I need DDD (at least I really want it).

I hope this has answered your questions.

-Dano