Re: slrnpull won't work on Mindspring.com

	Subject: slrnpull won't work on Mindspring.com
	Date: Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 01:18:58PM -0400

Quoting Wayne Topa(wtopa@ix.netcom.com): (now wtopa@mindspring.com)
> I am trying out a new ISP and have run into a problem I have not seen
> before.  I wonder if anyone else might have run into this?
>
> I use slrn to get newsgroups and has been working fine.  I am, however,
> having a problem using slrnpull, 'on this new ISP (mindspring).  When
> slrnpull goes out to get 'any' group, it returns the error:
>
> ***Error selecting group comp.os.linux.development.system.  Code = 480
>
> The .slrnrc file has the required, Hostname, Username & password
> entries and I assume that slrnpull uses is as well as slrn.
>
> Has anyone seen this error before and found a fix for it?  The ISP's
> service people don't know Linux and, as usual, say that is the problem
> and the error code is being returned by slrn.  I find no
> information anywhere indicating any error codes returned by slrn.
>
> I doubt slrn/slrnpull is the problem, as I have used slrmpull on 4-6 ISP's
> without any problems in the past.
>
> BTW, mindspring says that they do not, as of now, support Linux.

I an glad that I can respond with a fix to my oun post.

I went looking for answers and found it on "news.software.readers"
newsgroup.

480 = Authentication required for command

>From the slrnpull FAQ:
    If your server requires authorization information, create a file called
    `authinfo' in the slrnpull directory.  The file should consist of
    two lines: the first line should contain the username and the
    second should contain the password.

Thanks to  "Jörg Strohmayer" <usenet@bigfoot.de> for posting that!  It
has fixed the problem.

I felt bad that I had not found that in my search so I reread the
slrn.FAQ included with Slink.  It seem that th FAQ in Slink does not
have that info for some reason.

Anyway, now I can switch ISP's!  Mindspring downloads are much faster
then what I have been getting from netcom.

Hope this might help someone else out.

Wayne

--
Real computer scientists despise the idea of actual hardware.  Hardware
has limitations, software doesn't.  It's a real shame that Turing