Re: how to reset the console?

On %M 0, Rob Mahurin wrote
> OK, here is story to date:

[snip]
> 8.  I go insane with frustration at the whole situation and reboot.
>
> 9.  Rebooting gives me my pretty high-res console back --- and
> SVGATextMode promptly switches it back to Plane Jane 80x25.

If you set it up, it will do better/as you specify; this is just the
default.  If you didn't configure it for your chipset, this could be
why it didn't work.

> 10.  Remove svgatextmode.  Scream twice.  Reboot again.  Normal.  Much
> better.  Insanity fading to normal levels.
>
> Now that I've obliterated my problem (destruction is so satisfying),
> I'm curious: could I have used some derivative of vidmode(8) and not
> had to reboot?  Or does that only apply on the next reboot?  And if
> so, is there any way in the base system to "hot-switch" the video
> mode?  I intend to learn something from this experience or die trying.

If it messed up and *then* you started X, you're probably hosed unless you
actually quit X.  Your X server doesn't know much about setting or
restoring text modes; it just saves the state it finds when you start X,
and restores it when you quit or swap to a text mode vt.  I'd have thought
you'd do better with svgatextmode, if text mode worked when you started X.

John P.
--
john@huiac.apana.org.au
"Oh - I - you know - my job is to fear everything." - Bill Gates in Denmark