Re: Some email bounces = misconfigured exim?

Hello,

Arcady Genkin:
> Well, I personally don't think that *that* is the problem. My outgoing
> mail bounces from the foreign servers, not sympatico's.

Why are you trying to send mail directly to foreign servers?

Simpler to give it all to your ISP and let *them* handle it. It's their
*job* to figure out how to talk to all the SMTP hosts on the planet, and
they have the resources to do it (including their own DNS, static IP,
permanent link, full-time staff to handle problems etc).

You should only need to figure out how to talk to your own ISP's SMTP host.
Most of them only require that you be calling in from their modem pool.

(My own mail address - jiri@baum.com.au - is an MX-only domain pointing to
a commercial ISP; I have no problem using that address when sending e-mail,
provided I send it to whoever I've currently phoned (ISP server when I call
the ISP, university server when I'm on the uni modem pool). The machine I'm
typing on is called legend.baum.com.au)

In the routers section of exim.conf, use something like:

  smarthost:
    driver = domainlist
    transport = remote_smtp
    route_list = "* mail.sympatico.ca bydns_a"
  end

(Actually, since I routinely call either the ISP or the university, I have
the ip-up.d/exim script place the mailserver name in a file and then I pull
it into the exim config using the $lookup function.)

HTH

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently