Re: Debian vs. RedHat

Jan Muszynski wrote:

> On 18 Apr 99, at 12:31,  Stephan Goldenberg
>  wrote about Re: Debian vs. RedHat:

> This newbie found it easy just selecting one of the pre-configured
> installs. You can then fine tune the package selection after the
> initial configuration is installed (this can of course take days,
> weeks, maybe months or years :) ). This then amounts to 1 or 2
> minutes deciding which configuration to install (based on
> needs/wants), and no fighting of dependencies. You can, of course,
> take longer to decide which configuration to install by checking the
> complete list of packages installed with each configuration etc.

I just installed the workstation standard, but since then I have been
'fighting with dependencies' and learning dselect and dpkg, but I still
prefer them to glint.
The hardest part for me was partitioning. I'd just bought a new 8GB
drive, and wondered how much space to allocate for /, /usr, etc.
I have some Linux experience, with SUSE and RedHat. Debian sounded like
a challenge and I've found it to be very user friendly, although many
have not.

Matt