Re: More trouble ahead....

> I still haven't solved the script problem, though.
>
> - I have used ./telltime, but still no luck.
> - I have changed the mode to 0777 (or +u if you prefer).
> - I have checked the PATH and put the file in /bin and /usr/local/bin, both
> of which are in the path.
>
> BTW, Oliver, $ type telltime comes back with "bash: $: command not found."
> Bash is installed and in /bin.

That's a very strange error for bash to be giving... Because, unless you
changed the script from before, there is no $ in it at all! i'm stumped...
for the moment.

> When booting now I see the following....
>
> Partition check:
>  hda: hda1 hda2
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> Adding Swap: 20940 swap-space (priority -1)
>
> Exqueeze me, but what is VFS and is the fact that my Mounted root (hda1) is
> readonly correct?

That's completely normal. i forget exactly what VFS stands for (Virtual
File System?), but the root partition is always mounted readonly until it
can be checked. Then it's remounted read-write.

> The reason why I need this problem solved is that I want to use paride to
> connect a parallel port CD-ROM and thus I need to make a /dev/pcd (which
> also doesn't come standard). Once I have the CD-ROM I can install the
> system in full, otherwise I will have to start thinking about buying some
> extra floppies and install it via that medium :-(

Slow net connection? Or are you on a different computer emailing us?

Either way, it's a pain...

> I'm still having fun, though. Problem solving is the fastest way to become
> smart. Maybe that is street smart, but it'll come in handy sooner or later

That's the best way to learn! Just get in there and do it...